As your representative in Parliament, I can raise issues that concern you on the floor of the House of Commons.
As your MP I will be spending my time in the Canterbury constituency, to find out what your concerns are and how I can help you, and the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, where I will represent you and fight for your interests whether you voted for me or not.
The work of an MP
As your representative in Parliament, I will be able to raise issues that concern you on the floor of the House of Commons. Not many people realise that as an MP I can only raise matters that you have asked me to take to Parliament. So you really do have the power to change things!
I can also:
- question ministers from different Departments on your behalf;
- scrutinise and vote on laws being put through Parliament;
- speak in debates;
- sign Early Day Motions – which are a bit like House of Commons petitions – on issues you care about;
- present a Private Member’s Bill;
- request a debate in Parliament.
My work in the Constituency
My time in the constituency is largely limited to Friday and the weekends as parliament largely sits mid week. When in the constituency I will be based at our constituency office in Canterbury and making efforts to visit Whitstable and the surrounding villages for events and surgeries.
If you have limited mobility I will make all efforts I can to come to see you near or in your home.
In the constituency my work is largely limited to:
- Attending events at which I can keeping in touch with local organisations and businesses. You can request a visit from me here.
- Holding surgeries where you can come and talk to me about your individual problems as well as local issues. Surgeries are held in Canterbury & Whitstable on a fortnightly basis and are by appointment only. You can make an appointment and check out where I will be here.
- Helping educate people about the work of Parliament. I can arrange tours of the Houses of Parliament for local groups, as well as providing work experience opportunities for schools pupils and interns in my office.
I will also be out and about, knocking on doors (you have been warned!).
GET IN TOUCH
As your MP for Canterbury, I can help constituents on various issues, such as education, the environment, health and social services, highways, transport, and housing.
Please use the contact form to get in touch with me. Please remember to provide as many details as possible, including your name, address and full details of your issue.
I also hold face-to-face and online surgeries using Zoom/Microsoft Teams. At each session, I’ll be available to help with local issues. Click here to book an appointment.